Benefits of beamforming
Advantages of beamforming include the following:
- More power is directed in the beam’s specified direction.
- Higher signal quality reaches the receiving device, which increases the coverage capacity of the cell tower or base station.
- There are faster information transfers and fewer errors.
- Signal interference between devices is avoided since signals are only broadcast where needed.
- Analog beamforming is relatively simple to implement and has lower power requirements.
Current limitations of beamforming
Beamforming does have limitations, however:
- It sometimes requires more computing resources and power for beamforming calculations.
- Digital and massive MIMO beamforming systems may be more complex, especially considering more antennas and other hardware used.
- Its cost tends to be higher than traditional systems.